Cox & Kings' CSR Activities
Cox & Kings (C&K) puts an emphasis on the welfare of children and the empowerment of women. During the year, C&K participated in corporate social responsibility activities across various fields.
- Making wishes come true:
- C&K assists Make-A-Wish Foundation (MAWF) of India in granting wishes of children with life threatening diseases. Our relationship with MAWF began in November 2008 when we made a commitment to sponsor wishes of 10 children every month. As of April 2010, we have fulfilled the wishes of more than 100 children. These range from cycles, PSPs, sewing machines to computers and televisions.
- April 29th, 2010 marked the 30th anniversary of the first wish granted by MAWF. To commemorate the day, MAWF celebrated its first ever World Wish Day wherein every Make-A-Wish affiliate and chapter around the world granted a wish. In India, C&K partnered with MAWF, India and were instrumental in granting around 50 wishes on that day. The event took place across eight locations where Cox and Kings has offices including Mumbai, New Delhi, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Goa and Pune. The event was a success with involvement of C&K employees.
- In our attempt to promote MAWF's cause amongst employees and customers, we have placed donation boxes in eight C&K offices/ branches.
- Travel made easy:
- C&K sponsored the trip of a US based "Wish" child who wished to visit India. The child travelled with her family. Full board, transfers and domestic flights was sponsored by the company.
- The company also sponsored the travel wish of a Pune based child who wanted to visit Kanyakumari. The child and her family had a six-night holiday in Kerala where the travel to and from, full board, sightseeing and private transfers were totally taken care of by C&K.
- C&K is the Official Travel partner of MAWF wherein we sponsor the "Travel Wishes" of children.
- Staff involvement for the betterment of street children:
- A total of 42 employees participated in a Magic Bus Orientation Day Programme in Karjat. Apart from C&K's donation towards the activities of Magic Bus Foundation which is the development of underprivileged children through sports, our staff benefited from an out-of-the-office team spirit experience. In fact, each one got a hands-on experience in gardening and painting.
- Running for a cause:
- The year 2009 saw for the first time, 30 C&K employees run in the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon. We ran for Make-A-Wish Foundation of India.
- In 2010, we ran for Ummeed Child Development Centre. Ummeed is a set up with the objective of helping children with developmental disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation, Learning Disability, Autism, Attention Deficit Disorder, etc. Ummeed works with the child individually and comes to joint decisions with the family on care and management of the child.
- Our Bangalore office ran for the first time in the Sunfeast World 10k 2010. Our charity of choice was Oxfam India. Oxfam India strives to secure the right to a life with dignity for all by actively engaging people and policy makers in the inclusive development of society.
- Community development and relief:
- During Diwali (2009), C&K partnered with Oxfam India, who was one of the NGOs that assisted in the relief efforts in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. For the first time we initiated an exercise where we asked staff to contribute to this cause. While the company pledged a fairly large amount, towards the relief efforts of the victims, the Employee contribution and response was very encouraging with an equally large amount collected.
- On the way to the Oscars':
- The film KAVI was the Indian entry to the OSCARS 2010, in the documentary film category. The movie made on a shoe string budget traces the lives of bonded labourers. While the crew was overjoyed on being nominated, they were in a quandary on the costs involved in participating in the Oscars. In this scenario, comes in C&K who immediately agrees to sponsor the hotel accommodation of the child actor Sagar Salunke and three members of the crew.
- All for the love of the animals:
- C&K contributed a large sum of money to SPCA India towards the building of an OPD facility in their Noida Shelter. The SPCA hospital and shelter in Noida provides ambulance, outdoor treatment and sterilization facilities for dogs, cats and large animals. They wanted to build a full-fledged OPD facility with the hope of providing vet facilities to private pet owners so that the money earned from there can be ploughed into free treatment and maintaining the shelter.
- Child Protection:
- C&K made a donation to Bal Raksha Bharat towards the Child Protection Programme for 10 children.
- The management of C&K has had a long standing relationship with the Cancer Patients Aid Association with regular donations made to the organization.
- C&K distributed 1000 blankets at the Divine Retreat Centre.